If you want to keep training for the rest of your life- not just for a 12 week challenge, here are some top tips below!
1. Find something you love doing…if you don’t enjoy it you probably won’t stick to it.
2. Add resistance training 3-5 times a week. It can be at home, outdoors, body weight training or in the gym….whatever gets you excited.
3. Be consistent, you don’t need to be perfect, just consistent.
4. Find your “why”, and keep it in your mind…or better write it down.
5. Be accountable- to a friend, a PT, a group or coach…check in weekly to stay on track.
6. Focus on your nutrition, keep it simple- protein and vegetables at every meal, some fruit and natural fats.
7. Use My Fitness Pal app to calculate and track your macros. I like the % breakdown to be 40% carbohydrate, 30% protein and 30% fat.
8. Be patient! All good things take time! It is usually longer than you think…you can put a time frame for certain goals, but if you want a lifestyle change, get in your head that training is now a part of your life……not a 12 week challenge.
9. Enjoy the journey, all the ups and downs, just be consistent and don’t give up. If you get bored, change what you are doing, find a new sport, group or gym.
10. Injuries are a part of training, this is the reality…..sometimes it happens. If it does, you can always work around it…focus on what you can do, not what you can’t and stay positive.